Evening headlines for Friday, August 29, 2025.
Trump Revokes Kamala Harris’ Secret Service Protection Ahead of Book Tour
President Donald Trump revoked former Vice President Kamala Harris’ Secret Service protection, which had been extended by the Biden administration until July 2026.
Former vice presidents normally receive six months of protection after leaving office, but Biden approved Harris’ request for an 18-month extension.
Trump’s directive ends her security detail on Monday (September 1), just as she begins a 15-stop book tour for her memoir 107 Days, including events in London and Toronto. Administration officials said a recent threat assessment found no credible danger to Harris, though security experts warn that stripping protection in today’s polarized climate poses risks.
Trump withdraws Secret Service protection for Kamala Harris➡️ https://t.co/Oa2xB32SAX pic.twitter.com/kDb1Mfd4oA
— FRANCE 24 (@FRANCE24) August 29, 2025
Trump has previously cut security for figures who opposed him, including John Bolton and members of Biden’s family.
CDC Sees Leadership Shakeup as Trump Replaces Monarez with Jim O’Neill
President Donald Trump appointed Jim O’Neill, deputy to Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and a former investor with libertarian ties, as acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) following the forced departure of Susan Monarez.
Monarez’s lawyers said she was removed for refusing to endorse “unscientific, reckless directives.”
O’Neill, who has no medical background but previously served at Health and Human Services (HHS) under George W. Bush, will oversee the agency amid major resignations and Kennedy’s efforts to reshape vaccine policy.
Known for advocating lighter regulation, O’Neill once proposed allowing drugs to reach the market without prior proof of effectiveness. He has expressed support for the CDC’s traditional vaccine oversight but has avoided criticizing Kennedy’s skepticism.
As acting director, O’Neill may soon face decisions on vaccine recommendations from a CDC panel that Kennedy restructured. His appointment is limited by law to 210 days unless he is formally nominated.
Hundreds of current and former employees gathered outside the CDC’s Atlanta headquarters in protest, showing support for top officials who have either resigned or been fired. Jim O’Neill has been chosen to serve as acting director of the CDC, a source confirmed to @CBSNews.… pic.twitter.com/9U2qkivjES
— CBS Evening News (@CBSEveningNews) August 28, 2025
The move comes after four senior CDC officials resigned this week, leaving the agency with fewer veteran leaders in medicine or public health.
Trump Uses Rare Pocket Rescission to Block $4.9 Billion in Foreign Aid
President Donald Trump informed House Speaker Mike Johnson that he will not spend $4.9 billion in congressionally approved foreign aid, invoking a rarely used budget maneuver known as a pocket rescission.
By submitting the request so close to the September 30 fiscal year deadline, Congress cannot act within the 45-day window, allowing the funds to lapse. It is the first such move by a president in nearly 50 years.
The cuts target State Department and US Agency for International Development (USAID) programs, including $3.2 billion in development aid, $520 million for the United Nations, and $838 million for peacekeeping operations.
The White House framed the decision as a legal tool to curb spending, while critics in both parties called it an unconstitutional breach of Congress’ power of the purse.
(White House)
Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer warned the maneuver could disrupt budget talks and risk a government shutdown, while Sen. Susan Collins said it was a clear violation of the law.
The move fits Trump’s broader push to cut foreign aid and consolidate presidential control over spending, with USAID now effectively being shut down and its programs shifted to the State Department.
US Revokes Visas for Palestinian Officials Ahead of UN General Assembly
Secretary of State Marco Rubio revoked visas for several Palestinian Authority and Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) officials and ordered new visa applications be denied, the State Department said Friday.
The move comes ahead of the UN General Assembly in September, where Palestinians have traditionally participated.
The department said the decision holds the groups accountable for failing to repudiate terrorism and incitement, as required under US law.
The Palestinian Authority condemned the action as a violation of US obligations as UN host country and international law, urging a reversal.
UN officials said they are seeking clarification, stressing the importance of full representation.
Palestine denounces US decision to revoke visas for Palestinian officials, including President Mahmoud Abbas, calling it a breach of the 1947 UN agreement as states prepare to recognise Palestinian statehoodhttps://t.co/i3DZ39D4or
— TRT World (@trtworld) August 29, 2025
Waivers will allow the Palestinian UN mission in New York to continue operations.
Palestinian Ambassador Riyad Mansour confirmed that President Mahmoud Abbas still plans to attend and address the General Assembly, as well as a high-level meeting on a two-state solution scheduled for September 22.
Over 14,000 Venezuelan Migrants Reverse Course South After Trump’s Immigration Crackdown
More than 14,000 migrants, mostly Venezuelans, have turned back from journeys to the US since President Donald Trump ended asylum access, according to a recent report by Colombia, Panama, and Costa Rica with UN support.
The “reverse flow” marks a sharp shift in one of the world’s largest migration crises, with northbound crossings through the Darien Gap down 97 percent this year. Nearly all migrants interviewed for the report cited US policy changes as the reason for returning, and about half said they planned to go back to Venezuela.
Many faces heightened risks on the return trip, including exploitation by armed groups, scams, and dangerous sea crossings.
14,000 migrants, mostly from Venezuela, have returned to South America since Trump slashed access to asylum.
It marks radical shift in one of the biggest mass migrations in the world.
Here’s the route they take to return, and where they’re going
For @AP https://t.co/8G4L4yc1XW pic.twitter.com/Jf0xRC4brY
— Megan Janetsky (@meganjanetsky) August 29, 2025
Since 2017, some 8 million Venezuelans have fled the country’s ongoing political and economic turmoil, first moving to South American neighbors before heading north in recent years.
Human rights officials urged governments to protect returnees from trafficking and abuse.
Israel Declares Gaza City a Combat Zone, Launches Offensive and Recovers Two Hostage Remains
Israel declared Gaza City a combat zone Friday and resumed large-scale fighting as part of a planned offensive, while announcing the recovery of the remains of two hostages.
The military said the city remains a Hamas stronghold, with tunnels and fighters still operating despite previous raids.
Health officials reported Gaza’s death toll has risen to 63,025, including 59 deaths in the last 24 hours, and warned that famine and collapsing hospital capacity threaten civilians.
Aid groups and the UN criticized the offensive and said they received no prior notice, with some staff and church shelters pledging to remain in the city.
Tens of thousands of residents are fleeing south, though many say conditions are dire and there is nowhere safe to go.
במסגרת הפעילות להשמדת תשתיות טרור וחיסול מחבלים כוחות צוות הקרב של חטיבת הנח״ל הפועלים במרחב שכונת ׳זייתון׳ ובציר נצרים שבצפון רצועת עזה זיהו חוליית מחבלים שהסתתרה במבנה צבאי כ-100 מטרים מהם והכווינו כלי-טיס של חיל-האוויר אשר תקף את המבנה וחיסל את המחבלים. pic.twitter.com/GTG7YsAGJe
— Israeli Air Force (@IAFsite) August 29, 2025
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to dismantle Hamas and return all hostages, while families of the remaining captives urged the government to prioritize negotiations for their release.
Türkiye Closes Airspace and Ports to Israeli Military and Trade
Türkiye announced Friday it has closed its airspace to Israeli government aircraft and military cargo while also shutting its ports to maritime trade linked to Israel.
Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said the measures build on Ankara’s suspension of direct trade with Israel in May 2024, which ended $7 billion in annual commerce.
The restrictions include blocking container ships carrying weapons and ammunition for Israel.
⚡️🇹🇷🇮🇱BREAKING:
Turkey cuts all trade with Israel, no longer allows Turkish ships to go to Israeli ports and has closed its airspace to Israeli aircraft, says Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan pic.twitter.com/0uU2W02MGC
— Suppressed News. (@SuppressedNws) August 29, 2025
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has condemned Israel’s actions in Gaza, calling them genocide and comparing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to Hitler.
Turkish authorities had already denied Israeli flights passage through their airspace last year, and recent reports suggested maritime restrictions were in place before Friday’s official confirmation.
Ukraine Seeks High-Level Meetings to Advance Peace Amid Renewed Russian Strikes
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said officials aim to meet with US President Donald Trump and European leaders next week to push forward stalled peace efforts with Russia.
Zelenskyy accused Moscow of dragging out negotiations while escalating aerial attacks, including a recent missile and drone strike on Kyiv that killed 23 people.
The Ukrainian president emphasized that leaders must directly engage in talks rather than leaving discussions to lower-level officials, a stance Russia rejects. His top aide Andriy Yermak met Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff in New York to coordinate diplomacy, while Ukraine pressed for stronger sanctions on Russia and long-term security guarantees backed by Western weapons.
The Kyiv region observed a day of mourning after the latest strike, and the UN Security Council scheduled an emergency meeting.
Вшанував пам’ять загиблих на місці влучання російської балістичної ракети в житловий будинок. Цей жахливий удар забрав життя 22 людей, серед яких чотири дитини, найменшій із них не було й трьох років. Мої співчуття рідним та близьким. Усім постраждалим і родинам, які втратили… pic.twitter.com/lNM6lFj0OK
— Volodymyr Zelenskyy / Володимир Зеленський (@ZelenskyyUa) August 29, 2025
Russia, meanwhile, reiterated that a Putin-Zelenskyy summit could happen only after “expert-level” progress.
Polish F-16 Crashes During Air Show Preparations in Radom, Killing Pilot
A Polish F-16 fighter jet crashed while preparing for an upcoming air show in Radom, about 100 kilometers (62 miles) south of Warsaw, killing the pilot.
Government spokesperson Adam Szlapka confirmed on Friday via a social media post about the tragic accident and stated that the defense minister was en route to the site.
The Polish military reported no injuries on the ground.
Videos published by local media showed the aircraft attempting an acrobatic maneuver before crashing in flames on the runway.
Podczas ćwiczeń przed Air Show w Radomiu różnił się F-16. pic.twitter.com/GhusSRlX5T
— Remiza.pl (@remizacompl) August 28, 2025
The Radom air show is scheduled to proceed this weekend.
Japan Seeks Record $59.9 Billion Defense Budget with Focus on Expanding Drone Arsenal
Japan’s defense ministry requested Friday a record 8.8 trillion yen ($59.9 billion) budget for the next fiscal year, surpassing the current year’s 8.7 trillion yen ($59.2 billion), as it accelerates military expansion in response to what it calls a “severely intensifying security environment.”
The request includes a major increase in drones and other capabilities as Japan continues to move away from its post-World War II pacifist stance.
#JMOD held the Ministry Meeting attended by DM Nakatani and approved the FY26 Budget Request on Aug 29. FY26 marks the 4th year of the Defense Buildup Program. To realize the goals of the DBP, JMOD has requested 8.8 tril for programs to be initiated within FY26. pic.twitter.com/GrU5RIZNsA
— Japan Ministry of Defense/Self-Defense Forces (@ModJapan_en) August 29, 2025
In recent years, Tokyo has doubled defense spending to 2 percent of GDP and pursued counterstrike capabilities, signaling a more assertive security strategy while still formally operating under constitutional restrictions limiting its military to defensive purposes.
Japan to Deploy Long-Range Missiles in 2026, Accelerating Defense Buildup
Japan’s Defense Ministry announced Friday that it will deploy domestically developed Type-12 long-range anti-ship missiles a year earlier than planned, with the first batch to be installed at Camp Kengun in Kumamoto by March 2026.
The missiles, with a range of about 1,000 kilometers (620 miles), are part of Tokyo’s effort to strengthen strike-back capabilities amid growing concerns over China’s naval activity, as well as threats from North Korea and Russia.
The move aligns with Japan’s post-2022 security strategy, which marked a shift from strictly defensive policy toward a more active military role in coordination with the US alliance.
Japan also plans to field US-made Tomahawk missiles later this year and expand drone deployment for coastal surveillance as it faces military staffing challenges.
Sources: News Agencies